Conversation starters and ice-breakers when planning retirement
Discussing life changing decisions can seem like a daunting prospect but using the right ice-breakers and conversation starters can help you begin important conversations in a positive and proactive manner.
The ideas below can also be used keep the conversation going and ensure you and your loved ones explore a range of topics about later life.
- I’d like to talk about something with you, but first I’d like to get your point of view. Is now a good time?
- I’d like to talk about retirement living and care options in later life and I’d really like to hear your thoughts on this.
- What kind of place would you like to live in as you grow older?
- I’ve started thinking about the kind of place I’d like to live as I grow older and want to discuss this with you.
- What kind of experience would you like to have as you grow older?
- What kind of experience would you like me to have as I grow older?
- What are your/our concerns about getting older and what are the consequences if we don’t do anything about them?
- How would you want to be looked after should you become unwell or are diagnosed with dementia?
- How would you want me to be looked after should I become unwell or am diagnosed with dementia?
Was this information helpful?
Your comments help us understand the things users of our website find easy and useful as well as identify areas we can improve.