We believe that later life is for living
Helping people enjoy later life is our passion. It has been for nearly 60 years. And today, in an ageing society, our housing, care and support is needed more than ever.
As England’s largest provider of specialist housing and care for those in later life, we’re committed to creating choice and opportunity for everyone. We put our customers at the heart of everything we do, listening carefully and shaping our homes and services around them.
And we’re proudly not-for-profit, which means every penny we make is reinvested into our properties and services, building more and innovating for the future so that people can have a home where they love living in later life.
What we do
We manage 54,000 homes for both rent and sale to those aged 55 and over
- Across almost 1,700 sites
- Including more than 100 care homes
- Serving more than 65,000 residents
- Operating in more than 85% of local councils in England.
We develop homes that are a positive choice for people in later life
- Creating communities that bring people together, encouraging neighbourliness and reducing isolation
- Providing services that support wellbeing, from our Anchor on Call 24/7 telecare to money saving advice through our free Be Wise service
- Building 5,700 new homes over the next 10 years to meet varied needs across a range of tenures
- Being proudly not-for-profit means every penny we make is reinvested into our properties and services so they continue to meet residents’ expectations.
We put residents at the heart of everything we do
- Listening carefully so we can shape our homes, services and support around residents’ changing needs and concerns
- Informing changes to our services through a variety of engagement channels such as regular resident and relative meetings in our care homes
- Understanding how we can transform the market to secure the best services and create more choice for residents, now and in the future
- Working efficiently and effectively to deliver excellent value for money.
We speak up about the issues that matter to older people
- Leading debate and influencing the market to bring about continued improvements in housing and related services for older people
- Running campaigns and publishing research that shows how our services enable people to love living in later life
- Supporting and influencing government policy on issues such as social care funding reform.
We’re a leading employer of more than 9,000 people
- Rewarding colleagues with competitive pay and excellent benefits
- Investing in learning and development, supporting new joiners and existing colleagues to develop their careers
- Committed to equality, diversity and inclusion with colleague networks informing and shaping our approach.
A choice of housing and care options
Everyone’s needs and aspirations are different, so we offer a choice of retirement communities to suit those aged 55 and over, whether still working or not. We provide a range of housing with access to different levels of support and with a variety of options for tenure – leasehold sales, rental, shared ownership and residential care homes.
Retirement housing for rent
Our retirement housing to rent provides purpose-built, affordable properties including studio flats, one, two or three-bedroom properties and bungalows. Communities offer a range of additional facilities to complement each private residence, such as shared lounge areas, attractive gardens and guest rooms for the use of visiting family and friends.
Extra care housing
Our extra care housing is just like living in retirement housing, but with the added advantage of on-site care for those who need a small amount of extra support but are still able to live independently. Residents benefit from the same facilities and thriving community as our retirement housing, alongside additional facilities such as a meal service, housekeeping, hair salon and treatment room.
Retirement housing for sale
Our retirement housing for sale offers homeowners the opportunity to buy their own property with the peace of mind that maintenance of the building and grounds are taken care of.
Our newer retirement housing for sale developments provide homeowners access to additional on-site facilities such as a café and wellness room.
Our villages offer a range of luxury retirement properties for sale, with state-of-the-art leisure facilities, set in the beautiful surroundings of a rural village development.
We have more than 100 residential care homes offering everything from respite care to specialist dementia care. Well trained and friendly staff are focused on providing person-centred care encompassing every aspect of wellbeing to ensure individual needs are continually met.
What drives us
Having a good home, and a good local neighbourhood, matters to us all – but never more so than in later life, where wellbeing, and connectedness with family, friends and neighbours, is increasingly important.
And this matters all the more because the number of older people is increasing. By 2037, the over 65s are projected to increase to 1 in 4 people.
Our approach can be described very simply. We’ll provide:
- More and better homes where people love living in later life
So we’ll need to retain and recruit great people to work for Anchor. That means…
- More opportunities for colleagues
Great colleagues who understand our residents, coupled with our scale, means we can be...
- More influential
Championing older people and working with government and partners to shape local services. Our scale also means we can be...
- More efficient
And, as a not-for-profit, the savings can be reinvested to provide more homes where older people love living…
Nearly 60 years ago, Anchor set out to offer new high-quality and affordable housing options to older people. That aim still drives us today.
First and foremost Anchor is a not-for-profit charitable organisation. Find out more about how we reinvest the money we make into our properties and our values as an organisation.
We are committed to maintaining the highest standards of corporate governance and has elected to adopt the FRC’s UK Corporate Governance Code. Find out more.
Meet Anchor's Board members.
Meet Anchor’s Executive Committee members.
Read our annual report to find out more about what we have achieved this year and our strong financial position.
Anchor is England’s largest provider of specialist housing and care for people in later life. Find out more about the history of the organisation.
Anchor is regulated by the Care Quality Commission and the Regulator of Social Housing. Find out more.
Diversity and Inclusion
Anchor ensures that dignity, equality and justice are central to the way we work, and that the distinctive, diverse and unique contributions of our employees and customers are valued.
Building on relationships
At Anchor we work hard to get to know the people living with us, build relationships and ensure the service we provide is the one that people want.
Keeping people safe at Anchor
At Anchor we are committed to ensuring the people living and working with us are kept safe, are supported to stay well and to live full and happy lives and remain at the centre of any decision.
Our achievements and ambitions
Anchor has received many awards for the high quality services we provide and our pioneering approach to care and housing for older people.
Anchor are members of a range of bodies and groups. We are continually involved in new initiatives that raise standards in our ever-changing and growing sector. Find out more.
New retirement property developments
Our ambitious and innovative new development plans demonstrate our commitment to meeting the changing needs and aspirations of older people.
Welcome to the Anchor investors website, where you can learn more about our organisation and performance. Find out more.
Useful contact details
Contact details for individual Anchor locations
Find telephone numbers for individual Anchor retirement housing and care home locations here so you can contact relatives directly.
If you would like to speak to someone about the properties we have available and possibly coming to live with us, we'd love to hear from you.
Contact details for Anchor's Bradford and London offices
Find contact details and addresses for Anchor’s London and Bradford offices here.
Contact Anchor's Communications team
Find out how you can contact the Communications team at Anchor for comments and interviews.