Moore Place history
Moore Place residential care home is situated on a site with a rich history and has had some famous residents.
There has been a house on the site of Moore Place since Medieval times. The first named person to live on the site was Gilbert de la More who was a resident in 1263. A fine mansion was then built on the site in either the late 17th or early 18th Century, although it is not known who originally built the home. In the late 18th Century, William Moore, a prominent local brewer and land owner became a resident after which the property became known as Moore Place.
In 1841 Lady Byron, married to the poet Lord Byron, moved to Moore Place. Lady Byron wanted to be near her daughter, the Countess of Lovelace, who lived nearby at Sandown House. In 1848, during the French Revolution, Esher became a refuge for the dethroned King of France, Louis Phillipe and his Queen, Marie Amelie, who stayed at Claremont. Their daughter-in-law, the Duchess of Orleans and her family were housed at Moore Place by Lady Byron. Lady Byron left Moore Place in 1852 when her daughter passed away.
In the 1920’s Moore Place opened as a hotel and restaurant. The well-known Francis Firth Collections show Moore Place in the 1960s as a Best Western hotel and restaurant. It was a very popular venue for the locals and hosted numerous wedding receptions. In 2004, the hotel was featured in TV programme Gordon Ramsay’s Kitchen Nightmares, where the celebrity chef helps failing restaurateurs. The owners painted Moore Place an aubergine colour - which was disliked by many Esher residents - and turned the venue into a night club, Esteem.
In 2009 the building was knocked down and permission granted in 2011 for a care home to be built on the site. Anchor, England’s largest not-for-profit provider of housing and care for older people, has since built Moore Place care home, a beautiful Georgian inspired building, which respectfully pays homage to the former history of the site.