Older people face a disproportionately high incidence of fatalities or injuries caused by road accidents, falls on pavements or while using public transport.
Grey Pride issues
- Older people are more likely to be killed or suffer a serious injury as a result of a road accident than a younger person.
- An estimated 2,300 older people fall on broken pavements every day.
- The majority of over 70 year olds state that ‘personal security in the evening and at night’ is a barrier to using public transport.
What should happen
- Fines should be introduced if local authorities or the Highways Agency fail to maintain unobstructed views at accident black spots.
- Adequate funding to maintain pavements.
- Transport operators give “old age” the same prominence as “disability”.