Discussing life changing decisions can seem like a daunting prospect but using the right ice-breakers and conversation starters can help you begin important conversations in a positive and proactive manner.
The ideas below can also be used keep the conversation going and ensure you and your loved ones explore a range of topics about later life.
- I’d like to talk about something with you, but first I’d like to get your point of view. Is now a good time?
- I’d like to talk about retirement living and care options in later life and I’d really like to hear your thoughts on this.
- What kind of place would you like to live in as you grow older?
- I’ve started thinking about the kind of place I’d like to live as I grow older and want to discuss this with you.
- What kind of experience would you like to have as you grow older?
- What kind of experience would you like me to have as I grow older?
- What are your/our concerns about getting older and what are the consequences if we don’t do anything about them?
- How would you want to be looked after should you become unwell or are diagnosed with dementia?
- How would you want me to be looked after should I become unwell or am diagnosed with dementia?
Find out more about Anchor’s Grey Matters initiative to get the nation talking about later life