1870 - The Mount is bought by Thomas Hargreaves
The estate was advertised for sale as The Mount, by auction, on 26th July 1870 and was described in the sale catalogue as a “freehold residential property in the healthy and highly esteemed Parish of Bishopstoke. Occupying, as its name denotes, an eminence on the eastern bank of the River Itchen… The neighbourhood contains so many family seats, that a Lady or Gentleman occupying this property may ensure Good Society.”
The 1870 sales catalogue also described the grounds surrounding the house; “The gardens to the west are relieved by slopes and terraces, borders and beds of flowers, groups of variegated hollies, and clumps of rhododendrons interspersed with perfect specimens of the best known kinds of coniferous trees”. At one end of the gardens was a grand oak. Beyond the oak, was an enclosure of grassland and an orchard. There were two fruit and kitchen gardens, a peach house, stove house, potting shed, a fine range of glass houses, including vinery, greenhouse and conservatory measuring together 123 feet in length. There was also an enclosed stable yard for six horses, a carriage house, harness room and three rooms for coachmen. Also within the estate, there were cow houses and cart horse stalls, a cart shed, a poultry house, a pigeon house, an apple room, a boiling house and piggeries. In one of the paddocks, there was another cowshed. In all, when the estate was sold that year, it totalled just over 28 acres.
The estate was bought by Thomas Hargreaves, or Captain Thomas Hargreaves as he preferred to be known, for the sum of £7000. He extended the grounds to 66 acres and had the house rebuilt in the Italianate style.
By Chris Humby of the Bishopstoke History Society.