We are Welfare Assistants
At Anchor we know how hard it is to find a job that is just right, that is rewarding and that motivates you to go to work every day. That’s why we’re offering a unique opportunity to join a care home near you for six months as a Welfare Assistant, to experience working life at one of our care homes and all the great opportunities available to you.
After six months, if you meet the criteria required, you’ll be given the opportunity to join us on a permanent basis in a team that suits you whether that’s in care, catering or housekeeping. Find out more about the different types of careers in a care home here. This is an experience like no other designed to give you time to familiarise yourself with a care home setting and give you the opportunity to see what kind of role would best fit you.
What is a Welfare Assistant?
Welfare Assistants at Anchor work in our care homes helping us to provide support to our residents across housekeeping, catering and laundry. It’s an incredibly varied role where no two days are the same and you can work with residents and colleagues to support the home’s creation of a welcoming, friendly and happy environment.
The job is a paid, six month contract that could lead to a permanent role in an Anchor care home. Here’s what to expect:
Salary up to £9.35 p/h plus great benefits – find out more on our dedicated colleague benefit page
A route into care
This is a six month fixed-term contract and, if you like it, we’re offering the flexibility for you to join us either permanently, on a bank contract or as an apprentice. It doesn’t matter where you’re starting from, we want to pave a clear way for a career in care.
Excellent training and progression
As part of our offering you can achieve your Level 2 in Adult Care, Hospitality or in the kitchen and if you want to progress further in your career you will also have access to our award-winning development programme.
This is a support role
You will not be expected to support people with their personal care as a Welfare Assistant.
Help make a difference every day by:
- Making cups of tea and refreshments
- Supporting activities to engage residents such as bingo and quizzes
- Being an ear to listen
- Preparing food and washing up
- Undertaking housekeeping and laundry tasks
- Helping residents maintain their own routines with activities such as hairdressing and beauty treatments
Who are we looking for?
You don’t need previous care experience to be a Welfare Assistant with us. We’re looking for reliable people with a caring nature and ability to turn your hand to different ways to support the residents and the home. You’ll be a people-person and genuinely want to support people to enjoy living in later life.
This role would suit someone interested in a career in a care but isn’t quite sure what to expect or what roles are available to them, whilst giving you the experience of being part of our great care homes. We’re offering a six month contract with a view to becoming a permanent member of the team after you’ve worked alongside our team and seen what kinds of role would suit you. Applicants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to apply (unless medically exempt) as per government legislation.
To find a Welfare Assistant role near you, simply follow the link below and enter your location.
What happens next?
During your six months as a Welfare Assistant we have a structured roadmap to success all laid out. Each month you will meet with your manager to discuss your progress and which route you’d like your career in a care home to take, whether that’s in Housekeeping, Catering or Care.
Once you near the end of your contract and are on track with your roadmap, there’s a couple of routes you can take to kickstart a secure career with us:
- Join us as a permanent member of the team in your chosen role – whether you’re full time or part time, join a rewarding career where you make a difference to the lives of older people each day.
- Join us an apprentice – if you want to become a Care Assistant, Catering Assistant or Housekeeper you can achieve your Level 2 qualification via our award-winning apprenticeship programme. Find out more about our apprenticeship offering here.
- Join us on a bank contract – perfect for people seeking flexibility, bank colleagues can work as many or as few hours per week as they choose (depending on the home’s availability).