Ageism is rife in the workplace and aspirations for a fulfilling, active retirement while leaving a nest egg for the kids may not tally with reality.
Grey Pride issues
- 41% of young people say there are not enough jobs for older people to be in work.
- Out of 10.2 million people aged between 50 and the State Pension age, 2.9 million (28%) are out of work.
- England could face a shortfall of 718,000 care workers by 2025.
What should happen
- Businesses should perform an ‘age friendly’ audit to identify how well they are meeting older customers’ needs.
- Businesses required to provide more flexible working for older people so they can juggle the responsibilities in their private life and at work.
- Introduce apprenticeships and retraining programmes to enable older people to continue working or to re-join the workforce.