While the internet offers many opportunities – it is not a panacea.
Grey Pride issues
- 70% of 65 year olds and over in the UK are digitally excluded.
- Digital exclusion prevents access to money saving deals, information about wellbeing and employment and opportunities for social interaction.
What should happen
- All services used by older people should be accessible off-line, as well as on-line. The Commissioner for Older People, once appointed, should assess whether they are.
- Businesses and organisations should be encouraged to think about how people who are not online can still access their services and how to make this information readily available.
- All British companies should sign up to the international standard for web accessibility set out by the World Wide Web Consortium and the Web Accessibility Initiative.