Short-term thinking exacerbates the dysfunctional relationship between health, housing and care.
Grey Pride issues
- In 2012-13, patients spent 833,000 days longer in hospital than necessary because of delayed transfers.
- 50% of medics said delayed transfers were worse now than a year ago.
- 57% of older people living in care homes do not have access to all the NHS services that they may require.
What should happen
- Fully integrate health and care.
- Clear guidance to Health and Wellbeing Boards explaining their remits and ensure housing plays a significant role.
- Abolish retainer fees charged to care homes by GPs.