The supply of appropriate housing for older people is woefully inadequate.
Grey Pride issues
- A third of over 60s want to downsize.
- 50% of the over 60s who wanted to move said they couldn’t because of a lack of supply of retirement property.
- 60% of household growth through to 2033 will involve someone over 65.
What should happen
- A national task force of developers, ministers and local government to produce a national strategy for increasing supply.
- Create a level playing field for retirement housing developers.
- Ensure all local authorities have a robust housing strategy for older people and act on it.