Few will deny that social care is in crisis. Demographic change means it is likely to worsen.
Grey Pride issues
- Spending on social care for older adults fell by 15% between 2009/10 and 2012/13.
- 24% Britons are unaware the Government does not fully fund social care for older people.
- Most people will have to spend up to £140,000 on care costs before costs are capped.
What should happen
- Extend worksave pension scheme to include additional saving for social care.
- All providers receiving adequate State funding be required to pay the living wage to all care home and domiciliary carers and activity co-ordinators.
- Legislation to give informal carers entitlement to a period of leave.