- Can I clear snow from around my Anchor property in the winter?
Anchor retirement housing customers often ask for advice about clearing snow from around their property in the winter.
We have written this guide to help ensure that should you choose to clear snow and ice from around your property, you do so in a safe way that doesn’t make the area more dangerous than before.
Anchor’s top tips for clearing snow and ice follow the snow code issued by the government:
- If you are clearing snow, think about where you will put it so that it doesn't block paths or drainage channels.
- Start early in the day - it’s easier to move fresh, loose snow
- Don’t use water - it might refreeze and turn to black ice
- Use salt if possible - it will melt the ice or snow and stop it from refreezing overnight
- You can use ash and sand if you don’t have enough salt - it will provide grip underfoot
- Pay extra attention when clearing steps and steep pathways - using more salt may help.
- How can I save energy and reduce my utility bills?
Anchor's Energy team frequently work with people on fixed incomes, such as pensions, and have written a free guide to being more energy efficient that features easy changes you can start making today for little or no-cost and that will make a significant difference to your energy bills.
Read our Top 20 Energy Efficiency Tips.
- How can I get help understanding my utility bills?
The information on a typical utility bill can be confusing and hard to understand. Anchor's Energy team have written a free guide to paying your bills and getting the best deal.
Read our guide to paying your bills.
- Should I switch to energy saving light bulbs?
Anchor’s Energy team have written a guide to explain the key differences between the many types of energy saving light bulbs and help you decide which type are the best for you.
Read our guide to energy saving light bulbs.